The first Sunday sessions of 2016 are:
- Jan 17 2:00 – 4:00
- Jan 24 2:00 – 4:00
- Feb 7 2:00 – 4:00
- Feb 28 2:00 – 4:00
- more dates to follow . . .
For calendar updates and more information about Sunday Uke Sessions and The Millstone see: Sunday Uke Sessions @ The Millstone South Gosforth
For info about the Thursday sessions at The Cumberland Arms 6pm – 8pm, see: Thursdays @ The Cumberland Arms Byker – and more! (This blog post will be deleted when the next Sunday Ukes reminder is published).
The Steamin’Ukes are no more at the Dun Cow in Sunderland and have been replaced by:
The Strumbles Ukulele Group
Meetings on 2nd and 4th Monday of the month between 1pm and 3:30pm.
All abilities welcome – upstairs function room (no lift!)
Thanks to Charlie Lally for the update!
For further details see the North East and Cumbria Uke Clubs Spreadsheet
or the North East and Cumbria Uke Clubs Map
General info: Ukulele Groups, Clubs, Sessions and Classes in the North East and Cumbria
Happy New Year! The first Thursday session of 2016 is this week!
Thurs 7th January 6:00 – 8:00 at The Cumberland Arms, Byker.
More info about Thursday Ukes4Fun Sessions
Dates for Sundays at The Millstone to follow.
Wonderful workshop and performance by Mike Hind on Wednesday 30 Sept!
From Stage Fright to Spotlight! Here are Mike and some of the participants who banished their butterflies!
Who thought we were joking when we called for Mike to do “Bohemian Rhapsody” on the ukulele?
After the show, an impromptu treat in The Cumberland Arms Beer Garden! Iain Glencross aka “Hawaiian Shirt Racer“, previously the most stage-frit man on the planet, undertook a six-hour round trip by motorbike to come to the Mike Hind night – and aren’t we glad that he did!
Not forgetting lovely Lalya Gaye, who provided soothing ukulele-themed sounds from the Hello Montoya DJ Collective and then was first up in the spotlight to tackle her stage fright!
Kay Mortimer was next up, quickly corralling Michael Grant, also from The Angel Delights Ukulele Club in Wooler, to join her on stage – and didn’t they do well too!
Many thanks to everyone for making this such a great night!
Thanks also to:
Sign up here for our Events eNews for info about future events – there are more in the pipeline!
Wed 30 Sep 2015
The Cumberland Arms
James Place Street
Newcastle Upon Tyne
6:45 – 7:45 WORKSHOP (Doors 6:30)
8:15 – 9:15 PERFORMANCE! (Doors 8:00)
*No Booking Fee*
£15: Workshop + Performance
Paper tickets for cash only at
Thursday and Sunday Ukes4Fun Sessions
PAY ON THE DOOR
Take your chance of a place on the night!
Check this page to see if we are sold out in advance!
WORKSHOP: 6:45 – 7:15 (Doors 6:30)
Banish the Butterflies! From Stage Fright to Spotlight!
(Max attendance: 30)
Move away from your living room
. . . to playing solo in front of people
. . . to open mic
. . . to performing!
Mike will cover how to:
- gain confidence
- overcome stage fright
- write a set list
- have fantastic stage presence
- and interact with your audience
Plus teach you some gimmicks you can adapt to suit your style!
“A fantastic performance workshop that’ll give you the tools for creating a dynamic stage presence.”
Elton Ritchie’s Open Mic Tips
- If you are visiting a venue for the first time it is a good idea to ring ahead to ensure that the event is on.
- It will help your preparation to attend a couple of sessions before you plan to perform. Visit a few before deciding on where to do your first performance. Trust your instincts. Some places ‘feel’ better than others and each open mic has it’s own culture. Some have a very supportive clientele. Some are just unpleasant.
- Arrive early and be prepared to wait if you want to perform. The more often you attend the more likely you are to get a slot.
- Make a note of what songs are being played by the other performers. Try not to duplicate other people’s material. Continue reading
The plain text versions of the songsheets in chordpro format are handy if you want to:
- add the song file to a mobile app, eg. Linkesoft Songbook
- edit, print or display the song using a Desktop program, eg. Songsheet Generator
- you don’t know me but you want to nick my song files!? Feel free – we all do it!
- Linkesoft Songbook iOS Guide (and other platforms)
- Songsheet Generator Help
Download from Dropbox:
Ukes4Fun Songsheet files (plain text, chordpro format)
ps. If you are looking for the pdf files with the chords above the line, they are here: Ukes4Fun Songsheets
pps. You might find these tips handy:
Some Songbook and Chordpro Tips