♫ Ukestra ♫
Tuesday 3 July 2018
The Cumberland Arms
Newcastle upon Tyne NE6 1LD
*** Venue Access Info ***
After 7 North American tours, “The Sum of The Parts”
Mark Jackson & Jane Jelbart are finally visiting the UK!
~ from Newcastle, Australia ~
Mark Jackson & Jane Jelbart
6:05 – 7:30 ~ Ukestra Workshop + Performance (Doors 6:00)
Through the power of Smokey Robinson’s “My Girl” and Cream’s “Sunshine of Your Love”, we will learn:
- familiar riffs,
- well-arranged (and restrained!) strumming
- and the fundamentals that skill us up for how to solo
- to create a “ukulele orchestra” performance.
Our aim is to get you, and your fellow uke players, into riffs and the pentatonics that will improve your technique and music theory knowledge.
- The hard work is fun
- the outcome is a group sound that gets beyond “hum’n’strum”.
8:00 – 8:50 ~ Feel and steal Workshop + Discussion (Doors 7:45)
Here we apply our new pentatonic skills to a bunch of different songs and genres (pop, folk, blues).
- What does it feel like?
- How does that new skill feel in the context of that song?
- What feels best?
- Even better, can you steal some ideas from other songs and riffs you dredged up from the deeper recesses of your memory.
Pre-requisites for both Workshops:
- Know the string names
- Know these chords from the key of C: C, Dm, Em, F, G, Am
- Bring a ukulele tuned GCEA!
Who will benefit from attending?
- Group members
- Group leaders
- Group music arrangers
9:10 – 9:40/10:00 ~ Concert: Mark Jackson & Jane Jelbart (Doors 9:00)
“We like to explore the emotional canvas with the uke, vocal harmony and other instruments, be they happy, sad, insightful or funny.
Over the last seven years we have grown to love and learn Americana tunes and the reserved way in which these are delivered. We also enjoy introducing our own songs, making a pleasing mix of the familiar and the new.”
9:45/10:00 ~ Raffle
- Prizes donated by Mark and Jane
- Baritone Ukulele Hard Foam Case/Gig Bag
- Ukulele art works
- Ukulele accessories
There will be time to browse and shop during the Breaks and after the Raffle.
Riptide Baritone Ukulele Lightweight Hard Foam Cases: £25
- Limited number available
- To buy a case to collect on the night, pre-order and pay when purchasing your ticket
- Or if there are any left, you can pay on the night
Mark Jackson and Jane Jelbart aka “Jack’n’Jel”
Ukestration As An Approach To Music-Making And Teaching On The Ukulele
“Jack’n’Jel” are a dynamic, collaborative, flexible, fun and funny workshop and performance duo from Newcastle, Australia.
Workshops, Leadership and Publications
At home, Mark and Jane run 11 weekly ukestra/choir sessions, gaining an international reputation for their ukestra workshops: helping community ukulele groups to develop their musicianship and joy beyond hum n strum.
- They were the first Australians to undertake the three years training (in Vancouver) in the James Hill Ukulele Initiative
- They are catalysts, organising professional development opportunities for uke leaders and teachers across Australia.
In May 2018 they released two books on:
Concerts and Recordings
In concert, “Jack’n’Jel” have been variously described as ‘mesmerising’, ‘funny’, and ‘a little brave’. They are a rare commodity:
- performers who can teach
- teachers who can perform
They have recently released their debut album, littered with the musical debris of their lives – uke, trumpet, guitar, piano, banjo, fine harmonies and the occasional contribution from a virtuosic friend or two.
Check out these workshop and review videos!
6:00 Ukestra Workshop £15
7:45 Feel & Steal Workshop £10
9:00 Concert (Mark & Jane) £5
*** Discount: Both Workshops + Concert: £20 ***
*** Group Booking: Minimum 3 Tickets: £15 each ***
- GROUP BOOKING FOR CLUBS, GROUPS, etc.
- Group Booking Tickets cover attendance at both workshops and concert.
There are NO BOOKING FEES for any of these tickets!
If you have any problems buying tickets on Ticketsource or have any questions about this event, please email firstname.lastname@example.org