This year we are not having a complete Summer Break from Thursday and Sunday sessions:
- There is one Thursday Session in July but none in August
- There is one Sunday Session in August but none in July
The Cumberland Arms: 6:00 – 8:00
The next two Thursday Sessions are on July 5th and Sept 6th
- July 5th (1st Thursday of the month: with Dot and Misspent Uke)
- SUMMER BREAK – NO SESSIONS IN AUGUST
- Sept 6th (1st Thursday of the month: with Dot and Misspent Uke)
- Then 1st, 2nd & 3rd Thursdays as usual
- No sessions on 4th & 5th Thursdays
The Millstone: 2:00 – 4:00
The next two Sunday Sessions are on Aug 5th and Sept 2nd
- Sunday June 24 CANCELLED (too many people on holiday)
- SUMMER BREAK – NO SESSIONS IN JULY
- Sunday Aug 5
- Sunday Sept 2
- More dates to follow . . .
Sunday Sessions are not suitable for beginners.
Sunday and Thursday Sessions – What to expect
- Thursday Sessions are not all the same
- Sunday Sessions are different to Thursday Sessions
- Please see these pages for more information:
If in any doubt about dates and times of sessions, please check the Calendar
Other ukulele sessions and events over the summer
In case you start pining for your regular uke-fix on Thursdays and/or Sundays!
Best wishes for a lovely summer!
Dot and Lizzie
SUMMER BREAK: NO SESSIONS IN AUGUST!
Every 1st, 2nd and 3rd Thursday at The Cumberland Arms 6:00 – 8:00
- JULY THURSDAY SESSIONS:
- Thursday 6 July – Ukes4Fun with Dot and Misspent Uke
- Thursday 13 July – Ukes4Fun New/Old Songs with Denis
- Thursday 20 July – Ukes4Fun with Dot and Misspent Uke + Dot’s Birthday!
- Thursday 27 July – NO SESSION
- SUMMER BREAK: NO SESSIONS IN AUGUST
- The usual monthly pattern resumes on 7th Sept
- 1st Thursday – Ukes4Fun with Dot and Misspent Uke
- 2nd Thursday – Ukes4Fun New/Old Songs with Denis
- 3rd Thursday – Ukes4Fun with Dot and Misspent Uke
- 4th & 5th Thursdays – NO SESSION
New/old songs for 2nd Thursday Sessions with Denis:
- Many thanks for bringing new songs and reviving some old songs that have lain dormant in the Songbooks for a long time! We now have a stash of these to re-visit in Denis’s sessions on 2nd Thursdays.
- Please hold on bringing new songs/reviving old songs to Thursday sessions until we have got these ones under our belts. For the next few Thursday sessions, we would like to rock steady with some familiar tunes plus the new/old ones you have already brought along to Denis’s sessions.
Reminders for everyone for all Thursday sessions, including me!
- Leading songs: If you are going to lead a song, make sure that you have practiced playing and singing it before you get to the session
- Song arrangements: The simpler the song arrangement, the more likely it is “work” as a “session song”. We have some very good players who are capable of adding all sorts of finesse and flourishes to a song. We love hearing these played but they work better as an occasional “solo spot”. If you are playing at this level then you can probably work out a simpler arrangement so that most people can play along with you. There are some good tips here:
- Play it again, Sam! Dot has a good ear for the sort of songs that are likely to become popular in sessions. If you get the nod from Dot that it is a “good song”, take the hint and give it a run at another session asap!
- Practice makes perfect: It might take a few sessions before everyone is familiar enough with a new song for it to settle in and “work”. This applies just as much to well-known songs (when everyone might have a different version playing in their heads) as to less well known songs (when perhaps only the the song leader “knows how it goes”).
- Give us a clue! You can use the email list to send links to YouTube videos, audio files on SoundCloud, etc. to help familiarise everyone with a new song that you are going to introduce (it helps even more if the recording is in the same key that you are going to use but that is not always possible)
- Song sheets: You can also use the email list to send song sheets to everyone – but please still bring at least 10 copies on paper when you are introducing a song for the first time.
See this page for more information about Thursday Sessions
Sundays at The Millstone
2:00 – 4:00 unless otherwise stated
- JULY SUNDAY SESSIONS:
- July 16th
- July 30th Confirmed!
- SUMMER BREAK: NO SESSIONS IN AUGUST
- Sept 17th
Oct 15th CANCELLED – too many sore throats and laryngitis!
- Oct 29th
- Nov 19th
- Dec 10th * 1:15 – 4:15 * Xmas Party for all Thursday and Sunday players!
- more dates to follow . . .
Please note: the Sunday Sessions are not suitable for “Beginners”.
For more information about Sunday Uke Sessions and The Millstone see: Sunday Uke Sessions @ The Millstone South Gosforth
The Millstone: website
For the latest information on dates, times and venues for Thursday and Sunday Sessions, please check the Calendar: https://ukes4fun.org.uk/calendar/
(This message will be deleted when the next dates are posted.)