Back by popular demand!
The Fabulous Del Rey returns to Newcastle on her 2017 UK Tour!
“Whilst known for her amazing instrumental skills … it should not be overlooked that Del Rey always provides a very entertaining show, full of variety, drama and humour.”
Blues In Britain
“Del Rey is one of the greatest modern players of the metal-bodied resonator guitar.”
Acoustic Guitar Magazine
“Del Rey is one of the most sublime modern guitarists.“
La Hora del Blues Barcelona
This time with the Amazing Adam Franklin!
“Britain’s best kept secret!”
Steve James, USA
“Like a cross between Robert Johnson and Joe Strummer!”
Two Rivers Folk Festival, Wales.
“Franklin’s exemplary resonator picking and slide playing demonstrates a dedication to the instrument that would be the envy of some of the legends he emulates”
Record Collector Magazine
“Adam knows enough about old-style blues to be worth listening to and is irreverent enough to be exciting. He’s got the beat, you won’t be bored.”
Del Rey, USA
Hot Jazz and Blues at The Cumberland Arms
James Place Street
Newcastle upon Tyne
1. Ukulele Workshop: Hot Jazz Rhythm Picking
Adam Franklin is a fantastic tutor, as anyone who has attended his Workshop on “Hot Jazz Rhythm Picking for Ukulele” will testify!
- In this workshop you will learn some easily remembered picking patterns and how to use them to provide a solid rhythmic foundation to ANY song in ANY style – not just “hot jazz”!
- Whether you are a beginner or a more advanced player, you will find this technique a very useful tool to add that “extra something” to sing-alongs and jams!
- Chord charts and Finger-Picking Tabs for “Dr Jazz” will be provided – leave a comment on this post if you have booked a place and would like copies in advance!
2. Guitar Workshop: Moving Bass Lines
After Del Rey’s last performance, guitarists in the audience asked her if she could come back to run a Guitar Workshop. So that is what Del is going to do for us this time, focussing on “Moving Bass Lines”!
- Want to play like a pianist? Walking and boogie-woogie bass lines for fingerstyle guitar! Learn the positions where you can find both chords and moving bass.
- Intermediate-Advanced Level. Standard tuning. Recording permitted.
- Skills Needed:–
- You will need to be comfortable holding partial chords while moving a bass line, and with switching fingers to maintain a position.
- No barre chords involved.
- Who will benefit from this Workshop:
- Any guitarist with these skills who would like to expand their sound in blues and jazz will learn useful vocabulary and ways of using chords they already know.
- Fingerpickers and players with good fret-hand strength will get the most benefit.
3. Hot Jazz and Blues Concert
Del Rey and Adam Franklin Resonate! Jazz and Blues Duets, swapping instruments and vocals!
Hot Jazz and Blues Evening
Del and Adam often run workshops and perform together in the South of England when Del is in the UK. We are so pleased to bring them up to the North East to run Guitar and Ukulele Workshops and perform for us in concert!
6:00 – 6:05 Doors Ukulele Workshop (Max. attendance 30)
6:05 – 6:55 Ukulele Workshop – Adam Franklin
7:00 – 7:15 Doors Guitar Workshop (Max. attendance 30)
7:15 – 8:15 Guitar Workshop – Del Rey
8:30 – 8:45 Doors Concert
8:45 – 9:45 Concert (Del Rey and Adam Franklin
10:30 – 10:45 RAFFLE
10:15 / 10:30 – END
Tickets – NO Booking Fees!
- £10: Concert OR One Workshop (Guitar or Ukulele)
- £20: Concert + One Workshop (Guitar or Ukulele)
- £30: Concert + Both Workshops
The Cumberland Arms
James Place Street
Newcastle upon Tyne
- The Workshops and Concert are in the upstairs Function Room.
- There is a wheelchair-accessible ramp.
- The toilets are on the Ground Floor and are not officially wheelchair accessible.
- The Public Bar is on the Ground Floor.
- There are separate admission times for each event.
- If you are attending the Ukulele Workshop and then the Concert, you will be able to relax in the Music Room or Saloon Bar downstairs while the Guitar Workshop is running upstairs.
- Refreshments are not included in the Ticket Price.
Del Rey: http://delreyplays.com
Adam Franklin: http://www.adamfranklinblues.com
The Cumberland Arms: http://www.thecumberlandarms.co.uk
This Event on Facebook: Hot Jazz and Blues Evening with Del Rey and Adam Franklin
YouTube Playlist: Del Rey (Ukulele) Plays and Teaches Ukulele
YouTube Playlist: Del Rey (Guitar) Plays and Teaches Guitar
YouTube Playlist: Del Rey and Adam Franklin
YouTube Playlist: Adam Franklin (Ukulele) Plays and Teaches Ukulele
Print-friendly Poster and Fliers!
There are links to download PDF file versions for printing below.
Put them on your fridge, your noticeboard, etc. or pass on to friends who might be interested in coming along!
PDF file A4 poster: Hot Jazz and blues poster – A4
PDF file A5 flier x 2: Hot Jazz and blues poster 1/2 size x 2
PDF file A6 flier x 4: Hot Jazz and blues poster 1/4 size x 4
TicketSource referral link (if you sell tickets and use this link to sign up to Ticket Source then we get a “referral reward” from Ticket Source): www.ticketsource.co.uk/signup/8262